Monday, September 19, 2011

life or something like it.

Monday came so quickly, but I don't mind. The week days are really the only days I get to socialize with people. Plus, I like what I do. Really, I get paid to have conversations with all different kinds of people. Sometimes, of course, I need to throw in some lessons about verbs and adverbs, but even that knowledge has slowly crept back into my repertoire. Some people have fascinating jobs, and I can just sit and listen to them talk about it for our whole session, usually losing track of time. I correct some errors with pronunciation or when they forget their irregulars verbs. I help when they can't find the right word. They eagerly write it down, repeating it and repeating it, intent on adding it to their growing English vocabulary. Others don't want to speak of work and would rather tell me about the fabulous places they have traveled, both for work and pleasure, and I sit there with my jaw dropped, lusting over one day getting to see these places. There are times when they tell me so much information that I know the inner-workings of their company. I know about the problems they have with employees. I know when someone will be fired before they do. There are a few that use me as their psychologist, explaining the issues they have with work-life balance or asking me how they should deal with an issue with their wife. I have many that enjoy talking about politics, others seem to have no clue what is going on around them. They help me to adapt to the culture by telling me the way they do things, events happening in the area, and together we compare life in our two very different countries.

I am truly blessed to have a job that stimulates my mind. I am truly blessed to have students that are eager to learn. Without a doubt, there are a select few that want to only speak French, don't study their English, and are there because their company is paying them to be there. It can be frustrating, but in time, they, too, will progress. I just want every student to get something out of being a student of mine. I want everyone's English to improve, no matter what their level. I think the hardest part about learning a language is finding the confidence to speak it. Just because you know the words doesn't mean you feel confident enough in the way you pronounce them to try to say them. Without gaining this confidence, there is no chance to practice and to progress. This is something I, myself, have trouble with but like all things, time will tell.

The brisk fall weather has finally started to grace us with its presence here. I am pulling out last year's sweaters and bundling up. I'm back to wearing scarves. I need to go into my storage in the basement and bring up the rest of my sweaters, scarves, and perhaps most essential to me now, my cold weather shoes! My little ballet flats and summery heels are cold. With this weather has come rain, and it's that cold kind of rain that leaves you feeling so raw. There's something about this kind of weather that makes me want to wear stylish layers and a little bit extra make-up. Summer always involves light clothing, naturally bronzed skin, barely-there make-up, and casual hair. When falls comes, I want to be more creative with my look and feel fashion-forward (if it's possible)!

This year my guy and I have a big goal - paying back our college loans. We want to use our extra money to get those out of the way, rather than buying new clothes or traveling. We both love having new things and feeling stylish so this isn't easy for us. As I pass by the windows and see beautiful clothing with styles so fresh, I am craving some new pieces. My shoes from last year look worn and tired, but it's ok. I went through my clothes yesterday. I reorganized everything. Sometimes when you do that, you realize how much you do have; and don't take pity on my lack of buying, because I certainly don't have a lack of clothing. In fact, I have so much that my only real problem is where to put everything.

I decided I can still wear some of my summer dresses if I wear them with a blazer and tights. I can pair things in new ways. AND, a huge help to me right now is that I can wear jeans to work. I absolutely love this. My last job had me dressing like a grandma. I wasn't allowed to wear heels as my office was in a kitchen. It makes it so much easier when I can wear casual clothing. Of course, I can dress up when I want, but it's so much more fun to be in jeans and heels than trousers, button-ups, and flats (plus, I don't have to iron everyday!).

All in all, life is good (a bit lonely at times) but things are definitely looking up. I went out for coffee with my first French friend last Thursday night. We talked - sometimes in French, sometimes in English - for hours. We had so much to say, so much to learn about each other. We joked. We talked about serious things. We talked about our families and our guys. We talked about traveling. Heck, we talked about everything, and it was so nice. We scheduled our Thursday nights as a new, permanent date night (both adding this to our agendas immediately which I found to be funny - sitting in a restaurant with our agendas tucked in our purses). It is such a relief to have a friend here. I was beginning to lose hope!

I am looking forward to this week. As inspired by other bloggers, I am going to make a new goal each week. This week's goal is to exercise daily. I know it's something that makes me happy. I am always happy when I feel good about my body.

Have a nice week everyone. Will you take this challenge and make a new goal each week with me?

No comments: