Wednesday, May 11, 2011

La vita è bella!

My guy has been working on a project at work that has consumed his life. It has caused me a bit of heartache as I find myself doing everything alone. I eat by myself - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I spend my days entertaining myself. I'm literally always alone. The thing about being alone all the time is it affords you too much time to think and sometimes thinking too much isn't a good thing. Sometimes my thoughts become my arch nemesis. So going on a little trip to be with a huge family was just what I needed this weekend, and it's just what I did.

When my guy's sister called me Thursday night to invite me to her house for the weekend, I was excited for the chance to be around people. I was excited to see the wife of my guy's oldest brother whom I haven't seen since arriving in France. I was excited to see all the little nieces and nephews. I was excited to talk to adults. I was excited to showcase my newly acquired French skills!

We departed early Saturday afternoon in what was sure to be an adventure. My love's middle brother rented an 8 passenger Mercedes van. When it pulled up to pick me up, I had to laugh. In it were his parents, his sister, his sister's husband, their 2 babies (one born last month and the other who turned 1 last month - both who were absolutely amazing for the long ride), the middle brother, and myself. I got to sit shot gun! His brother and sister asked me about my family and about home, we talked about television shows that were famous in France and did I know them. His brother was excited to ask me if I knew Baracuda which made me laugh. It was a great chance for me to improve my French and to bond with my new family. The only thing missing was my love who was, of course, working.

The reason for us all traveling to his sister's was because she bought a new house. We were all meeting there to celebrate her new home and the birth of the baby. It is Islamic tradition to kill a goat when a baby is born. They brought the goat back for a big BBQ. What better place to have a big family gathering than at her new home!

Upon arriving at his sister's house, I was in shock. She had sent me pictures of the house they'd purchased and it was... in need of repair. Repair it they did! Seriously, it should have been taped for a flip that house kind of show. The transformation was 360. The original house was unrecognizable. No details were missed. From the modern kitchen to the beautiful furniture from the amazing collection at French furniture manufacturer Collinet to the big terrace to the dreamy little girls' rooms to the bathroom with the big tub, I was seriously in awe. The house was so beautiful and as I told them so, they were so modest. I kept looking from the originals pictures on my iPhone to the house in live form. Wow!
before
after
before
after
So once I got the full tour, I set out to mingle with the family. My love grew up very differently than I did. I have one sister. He has 3 sisters and 2 brothers. I'm the youngest of 2. He's the youngest of 6. My sister is 18 month older than me. His oldest sister is 15 years older than him. In addition to his brother's and sister's, he has 2 nephews and 6 nieces. He has 3 brother-in-laws and a sister-in-law. His whole family speaks French and Arabic. They make me laugh trying to speak English. I find it to be very cute. His one sister speaks very well. He wasn't there to translate for me this weekend so I was forced to speak French which was perfect for me!

We ate delicious BBQ ranging from chicken to sausage to goat, shrimp cocktail, ratatouille, tabbouleh, salad, cakes, and bread. We drank Moroccan mint tea and tons of espresso. The weather was amazing. Everyone was in good spirits. I just can't stress enough what a warm, loving, and fun weekend it was. I loved watching the family dynamic - the guys joking with each other and sharing stories, the little girls playing, the 3 year old boy proudly fastening the Velcro on his sandals, the ladies coming with their hands wide open as their mother shared with them the goodies she brought from Morocco - olive oil, almonds, peanuts, honey, etc. She assured me that I, too, would share in this one day. With that being said, I got to leave with good memories and a hint of excitement for what the future has to bring.
view from the terrace

3 comments:

Hicham Ennaciri said...

lucky you ! ;)

Kaylia Payne said...

It sounds like an amazing trip!!

And I can't believe what they did to the house, what a transformation!!!

h said...

Oh, wow, this is an amazing refurb! I would be amazed, too!