Saturday, May 21, 2011

Checking in!

in my Aunt and Uncle's neighborhood
Venice
view from our lunch on the Grand Canal
my yummy pizza!
the beach at the island of Lido, where I put my feet in the Adriatic Sea
hiking in Dardago
The weekend is here! The world didn't end (although I never believed that in the first place). The weather is beautiful, and I suspect back on the East Coast of the states, too.

I have been enjoying myself thoroughly while in Italy. My Aunt and Uncle are wonderful tour guides and really make sure I don't miss a thing. We have traveled all around here. My uncle took me hiking yesterday and to some amazing look-out points. We went to Venice for a day. We drove to the top of the mountain, Piancavallo, which was both beautiful and frightening. We saw paragliders jumping off the mountain and flying through the air. I put my feet in the Adriatic Sea for the first time, and it was surprisingly very warm! We've visited old churches and ate authentic Italian. And, with them being stationed here, I've been able to go on base and enjoy some comforts of home, too! I've had Subway, Starbucks, and... a bagel!!

As I write to you now, I'm sitting here on their terrace which overlooks the vineyard. The sweet smell of flowers fills the air. The birds are flying around making their music. I hear the comforting sounds of lawn mowers (something I just don't hear living in a city). The breeze is cooling yet the sun is hot. I am drinking an American cup of coffee (I missed sitting with a cup of coffee for 30 minutes). I am totally at peace.

Today we are venturing to Trieste. It is right on the border of Slovenia. It is the meeting point for Western Europe and Central Europe. It is already almost 80 degrees and is supposed to be beautiful there, with beaches and castles. 

Off I go... more pictures to come!! Enjoy your weekend, too.

And, Happy Birthday to you, Mom!! You rock!

1 comment:

Hicham Ennaciri said...

The pizza looks nothing DELICIOUS - Yummy