Thursday, February 2, 2012

little treasures. a woman i never got to meet.

Last May I visited my Aunt and Uncle at their beautiful home in Italy (as seen here and here). My Aunt and Uncle save everything. They have all their old passports, old pictures, and so many other little treasures. It was fun looking at all their keepsakes. I am the kind of person that is always on the move and is always throwing things out. When I don't want something anymore, it's trash. This drives my Mom crazy when I am home. I just can't understand keeping the clutter hanging around and it's terribly inconvenient to lug this stuff around when I'm moving. Little by little my possessions have become a small number of things and after having moved to France, I could probably pack these things in one box (not including my shoes and clothes!!).

My Dad and his brothers and sisters lost their Mom at such a young age (six children in total for their young father). My Uncle who just passed wasn't even one yet. My Dad, the second oldest, was nine. I can't imagine what that was like. I don't want to imagine. They cherish the little pieces of their Mother, the grandmother I never met, that they can get their hands on.

My Aunt happened to have her Mother's old wallet. It was such a treat to look through it. She was obviously a very organized woman, and I guess you would have to be with six children. She had all of her receipts and new driver's licenses and old driver's licenses, but the best was the way she kept track of her children's education. She had three little pieces of paper tracking the grades of her oldest children. It had each subject, their grades, and then the percentile that those scores placed them in. How cute! It was something so cool to find all those years later and especially fun to see my Dad's scores!!!

What little treasures have you found recently?

Here's what I am listening to now:
Hope you're having a nice day! :) xoxo


1 comment:

Aunt Susan said...

Very nice Kaylan...I am sure Grandma Reabold has been watching down on you for years and very proud of "Tommy's" daughter.
xo