Wednesday, February 8, 2012

one day in food.

Yesterday was quite the food experiment. I only had to work for 4 hours - 4 hours that were spread throughout the day. So, although, my day involved a little bit of back and forth traveling, it also allowed for me to cook some delicious meals and read from my lovely Kindle.


I started out my morning with a sweet (vegan) treat! mmmmm.... pancakes topped with hot fruit and a delicious vanilla latte (and a good book!).
For lunch, I enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato and avocado!! I used my favorite French cheese from the Pays Basque region, Brebis. It's fruity and light. I paired the sandwich with a bowl of spicy lentil soup (full of about 10 different veggies). *Notice the cute coasters I picked up with quirky images and comments at a little shop in Stuart, Florida. The one on top says, "now just because grandma farts at the table doesn't mean you have to."
For dinner, I devoured white bean patties (seasoned with thyme), roasted balsamic brussel sprouts, and rosemary mashed sweet potatoes. Thyme is seriously my new favorite herb! I thought I didn't like it but it turns out it's so versatile and adds such a nice flavor to many dishes. *It's hard to make white bean patties look good in a picture, but I promise you they were surprisingly good. I think I would even serve them to carnivores.
As you can see, I had a lot of comfort food yesterday. However, nothing I ate was really that bad for me besides maybe the pancakes (which really aren't all that bad for you - minus the sugar). It was a well balanced day - fruit topping (just frozen fruit heated up in a saucepan), pancakes (1/2 cup wheat flour, 1/2 cup soy milk, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. oil, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp. baking soda), the grilled cheese (wheat bread, lightly coated with vegan butter - we need some fat in our diet),  super healthy lentil and veggie soup with a ton of spices which means you don't need to add much salt, brussel sprouts (dash of salt, a lot of pepper, shallot, drizzle of balsamic and EVOO), potatoes (sweet potato, soy milk, vegan butter, salt, pepper, rosemary), white bean patties (white beans, thyme, bread crumbs, shallot, pepper - cooked in the oven for about 10 minutes then pan-fried for about 2 minutes on each side).

I heard on the news that because it is unbearably cold here, we shouldn't exercise and we should eat greasy food and we should drink a lot of water. I thought it was a joke. However, if it's what the doctor ordered, I really can't disobey. No exercise, grease, and water... okay... DONE!

What are your favorite recipes? Do you stick to the same recipes or do you like trying new things?

No comments: