Monday, October 3, 2011

a new perspective.

I think something we all need to consider is perspective. Life is all about the way you look at things, and this fact has the ability to shape your entire life. The past, present, and future. It is one of those glass half full theories. I can look back at pieces of my life and have regrets or have flashbacks of paralyzing memories or I can take the high road and consider something hard to come to terms with... maybe everything does happen for a reason. I need to truly, wholeheartedly believe this. There is an Arabic word - mektoub - which simply, eloquently means 'it is written,' so maybe each and every moment, the good and the bad were written, predetermined for us. I now have a new perspective - and can I tell you how incredibly wonderful and life changing it is?

For example, instead of looking at my new "city" as one that doesn't compare to home and to the hustle and bustle of NYC, I've learned to love it for its simplicity, its quiet streets, and its amazing history. I finally see it as a beautiful place. Honestly, it is like I have been given a new set of eyes (thankfully, still blue!). With a little bit of perspective, I am able to see this place in a whole new light. I don't want to stop taking pictures. I want to capture this wonderful city in daylight and at dusk. I want to capture the changing colors as autumn unfolds. I just want to enjoy every beautiful moment. How many people can say they have a huge fort in the middle of their city!?

And, this theory pertains to everything in life - friendships, relationships, why I picked the university I picked, why I chose the career I chose, and even why I decided to come to France - it was all written. Knowing that I can't change anything gives me more strength to enjoy and to live in the moment. It gives me more strength to be the person I know I am meant to be. What is meant to happen will happen, and I can't stop missing out on wonderful moments because I'm too busy analyzing the past or stressing over which path is the next one to take. It's like my life is a fantastic, wild ride down the Amazon. I will hit some bumps, my boat may flip over, it won't always be glamorous, but I will get back in and keep trekking down that river.

I am enjoying the ride. Are you?

Pictures from my weekend (in my fabulous city!!!):



No comments: