Tuesday, August 9, 2011

a recipe. and a sick day.

Today I am wrapped in a blanket on the couch (can't get internet connection from my bed). I didn't sleep much last night because I had such a horrible belly ache. My body couldn't get the right temperature either which was just an added nuisance. I started to feel dizzy in the morning. I had no idea what was wrong with me.

Not long after waking up, I found myself in the bathroom puking (a lot - sorry, I know it's gross!!). My first reaction was relief because my stomach temporarily felt better, but now it's back to hurting.. booooo. To add to this, my legs are killing me. They are actually aching. I tried elevating them which seemed to make matters worse. Now, my right ear is throbbing. What is going on!?

Yesterday I said life had been boring and that was okay for me! I didn't demand some excitement in the form of my head in the toilet bowl! Well, I'm taking it as some sign from my body to spend the day relaxing. I'm catching up on trashy reality television and watching the new Curb Your Enthusiasm and Weeds. I guess it's not a totally horrible day!

I did promise a recipe for the pasta dish I made on Friday night. It's one of those dishes that involves pantry items and that's my favorite kind of go-to meal! I know my mom doesn't like canned tuna when it's warm, but I swear, with a little lemon juice, you don't even know it's tuna and it tastes more like a meat sauce - without the red meat!

Mediterranean Style Pasta Dish 
(I couldn't think of a better name)

Ingredients:
1 box of linguini or your favorite pasta
some EVOO
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I like it spicy so I add more)
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 cup roughly chopped kalamata olives
1 big can of San Marzano plum tomatoes
5 basil leaves, torn
1 can albacore tuna
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste

Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook until al dente.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the red onion. After 2-3 minutes, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until slightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the capers and olives and fry 2 more minutes. Crush the tomatoes into the skillet with a wooden spoon or your hands. Add the the basil, pepper and salt to taste and cook until the sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tuna (if you prefer tuna in oil then add it with its oil - I prefer the tuna in water and drain the water because it's healthier) breaking it up with a fork, and squirt some lemon juice over top.
Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water, and return it to the pot. Add the sauce and the reserved cooking water and toss. Season with pepper and garnish with more basil.

No comments: