Friday, August 12, 2011

a buffet style dinner followed by a day to myself!

My only issue with Ramadan is that after a day of not eating, I am craving 100 different meals. Normally you can squeeze in something you've been fancying for lunch and then another something for dinner and if you've been good, a sweet treat, too! That's just not possible during Ramadan. It makes cooking tricky because I know I need to prepare just enough - too little means our hungry bellies won't be satisfied and too much means the leftovers won't get eaten. Besides breakfast where we eat bagels, cereal, fruits, yogurt, or muffins, there is only one other meal. We want to have something new to taste everyday so leftovers are pretty much out of the question (normally, we eat leftovers for lunch). I guess I need to think more along the lines of: we are lucky the other eleven months of the year that we have the privilege of eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I shouldn't think this way... but I'd be lying if I said it weren't true.

When it comes time to make dinner, I just can't decide. I want potatoes but I want rice but I want pasta. I want a whole grain baguette but I want olive bread. I want cupcakes but I want that delicious chocolate bread or maybe even some sorbet. However, the reality is, after only a few bites, our shrunken bellies are full. I leave the food waiting... and waiting... in hopes that we will get hungry again, but we take the opportunity to drink all the tea and water we've been thirsting for all day until we hear it in our bellies sloshing around. We surrender to the couch and soon after the bed and wake up for our 4am feeding.

Yesterday my cravings were out of control. I was searching recipes for everything from chocolate cake to coconut shrimp to chicken curry. I took a visit to the delicious fruit and veggie market on the corner (such a gift it is having that market less than a block away) and after seeing all the goodness they had fresh that day, my decision was made.

I used to love when my mom made fajitas or something else, buffet style. We'd take our tortilla and go on down the line, adding our favorite toppings (I did fajita night two nights ago!). Just because I want some toppings doesn't mean my guy does, and I like the interaction involved. I decided I was craving a good, old American sandwich - gourmet, of course!

I roasted tomato, zucchini, and eggplant slices. I sliced fresh cucumber and avocado. I put it all on a serving dish - added fresh basil (my favorite), white asparagus, and some cheese. I added bread options: olive and pepper, olive, or whole wheat baguette. I served it with homemade oven baked french fries, roasted cauliflower, and an endive salad. We both really enjoyed our healthy dinner! Note: it ended up working out perfectly because we hit snooze this morning and woke up with only 15 minutes left to eat before sunrise so we each quickly made another sandwich for breakfast!

I feel so much better after having a healthy meal where I know what the ingredients are and everything is fresh, local, and homemade. I also liked chewing into a sandwich with a combination of crunchy, fresh veggies and savory, roasted veggies tossed in olive oil, sea salt, and fresh cracked pepper.

Today my guy is on the train for five hours with the end goal of buying a car and bringing it home for us. This means that he will need to drive another six hours back with the car. I hope he has good luck with this as he has really been busting his butt searching for the perfect car for us (as I need a car for my new job which starts in a little over a week). He won't be home in time for dinner which means dinner by myself. Today's craving: angel hair pasta in a simple tomato sauce with some fresh basil and topped with what is left of the roasted veggies! I think I'll make some bruschetta with the uneaten baguette, too!

So I'm off to watch The Notebook and some other chick flicks on this day to myself :)

Have a lovely weekend, friends!

2 comments:

i smyth said...

I love your blog but, I always end up hungry after I read LOL! Love reading about your new life in France. if you'd like to follow me, i have a blog for work now. i blog about beauty, hair, and fashion :-)

armadastyle-i.blogspot.com

- iaisha

♥ Kaylan said...

you're the person to blog about those things since you are so stylish and beautiful! can't wait to check it out! thanks for reading my blog, lady!