Thursday, January 26, 2012

kindle fire

There are so many things that I want to write about that have been happening in recent weeks. I have this little list of topics waiting to be put to use. The problem is that my parents bought me a Kindle for my birthday in December. I have not been able to put it down. I love to read and being here in France, it's been very difficult to find books in English. Well, actually it's been impossible. The only books I can find are the super cliché ones we have all already read. Thus, I haven't been reading and have really missed it.


I had just been saying to my mom when she picked me up from the airport that some sort of tablet would be a really good solution for me. Little did I know, they had already purchased me one which was waiting at home to be opened. 


My Kindle Fire is so amazing. I am able to take it with me everywhere. It lights up so I can read it while in bed without needing a light. It has WiFi so I can look up recipes and with its vibrant colors I can enjoy the amazing images along with them. It is small and easy to sit right in my kitchen as I cook (I was previously lugging my MacBook around the kitchen with me). The battery lasts for a long time, too.


I have just finished reading two Nicholas Sparks books - Safe Haven and Best of Me. Before that I read Sarah's Key which was AMAZING and very moving story about the round-up of Jews in France *done by the French) during WWII. It is something that French people never talk about and also something that many of us don't even know about. I have been simultaneously reading What French Women Know which is a comparison of the lifestyles of French women and American women. 


I look forward to reading many more books and will soon download apps such as The New York Times.


This is such an amazing gift for someone being far from the world of English books. You have to purchase the books through Amazon which is why the Kindle Fire is so reasonably priced compared to an iPad. However, all of the books, magazines, music, and movies are super affordable as compared to buying paperbacks or hardcovers. Also, for someone constantly moving, lugging books around gets tiring and keeping them all together in one little device is genius. 


Well, I'm off, but I'll try to keep in better touch!


P.S. Saw J. Edgar Hoover at a theatre last weekend and it was really good. We love, love, love watching movies and I should get around to compiling a little list of some of the ones we recommend. Ta Ta for now!


What I'm listening to right now as I cook lunch:
-- can you ever go wrong with these Brits?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it too!!! ;)
Hitch