Tuesday, September 6, 2011

love me latte.

It's been far too long since I've had a latte. That's all I am really thinking about today. Honestly, it's all I have been thinking about for two months now. Because that's how long I've been back in France. And, it's also how long I've gone since having a latte.

Two months without a latte might not seem tragic. Really, it's something only my nearest and dearest friends and family could understand. I definitely spent more money on lattes than booze in college (only partially because the ratio of lattes to booze as far as dollars is concerned is 1:4 - meaning that for every 1 latte I purchased, I could purchase 4 $1 drinks at (where else) Indigo.

When people argue over "wasting" money on a $4 latte, I let that nonsense talk go in one ear and out the other. A latte is not a beverage, it is an experience. I long for a nice, quiet moment where I can sit back and people watch or read a book and slowly sip on this delicious treat.

All of my college career, I was a vegan. In the middle of Pennsylvania (meat and potato heaven), it is not easy to come by vegan restaurants like it was in NYC. A latte became more than a caffeine jolt and more than an experience for me during those years, it was my sweet fix. Some crave ice cream or cake, and I craved a latte. There is something so delicious about a latte with soy milk, too, so don't knock it before you try it. Soy milk has a thicker texture which makes the latte taste so much creamier and decadent.

I don't know why I am writing this right now, because all I am really doing is torturing myself. Meanwhile, I am stuffing my face with yet another batch of chocolate cupcakes - this time, topped with coconut flakes and a side of fresh strawberries (I already ate 3 today).

If I can't have my sugar fix in the form of a latte, then by golly, I will continue devouring my cupcakes.

I need to share the recipe!

No comments: