Monday, August 29, 2011

Tour de France: Besançon

Last week my guy and I spent a lovely day in Besançon. It is the capital of the region we live in, Franche-Comté. It also happens to be where he spent a big, significant (thus far) part of his life. He went to high school and 2 years of college there. As I've previously mentioned, he went to his high school on a scholarship and lived there during the week. Leaving a teenager on his own, without his mother and father, means that he has plenty of stories from this time and place! I enjoyed seeing where he used to go out or sneak out of the dorms. He showed me his favorite restaurants and other places he would frequent. I really enjoyed getting to see a little bit more of "his world." While in the states, he saw so much of my world. It's nice to turn the tables and have him share his memories.
Besançon also happens to have a rich history. The town was first recorded in the journals of Julius Caesar! It has always had a significant military importance since the 1st Century BC as countries fought to call it their own all the way until WWII. In 1668, during the reign of Louis XIV, plans were drawn up to create a massive fortress surrounding the city with a complex pattern of moats. I thought the fort here in Belfort was impressive but the fort in Besançon is larger and older! It is so big that it now has a zoo inside. We didn't splurge for the paid tour (we might another time), but we walked around the exterior and were able to see baboons, llamas, and birds - in addition to the amazing view of the city.

There is a river running through the whole city called Les Doubs and nicknamed "la boucle," meaning the curl. The river quite literally runs through the city like a curl, winding and twisting. At different points throughout the river we saw boats, rapids with kayakers, young boys swimming, people fishing, and dogs cooling off. We drove along the river, stopped to pick apples, and enjoyed the sights.

There was so much more to see and do, and I am sure we will return soon. The little bit of Besançon I did see was very beautiful and serene. I hope you enjoy the pictures!

No comments: