Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bordeaux, France

After 9 hours of driving (including a few pit stops), my guy and I arrived in Bordeaux yesterday. We explored the town by night last night and by day today. It's a lot smaller than we had anticipated but has all the elements of a French city that make it attractive - old buildings, pretty architecture, cafes everywhere, dimly lit outdoor patios, store-lined streets inaccessible to cars (mostly cobblestone), creperies, and outdoor markets.

We ate at a delicious and romantic Thai restaurant. I love Thai food and good Thai food is hard to come by unless you're in a city. We sat at one of those tables where you take your shoes off and sit on the floor. He wasn't crazy about this but was a good sport.

Today, we did a bunch of walking around. I found an Italian gelaterie that I love so much I actually dream about it. We stopped there twice in Strasbourg, and I was delighted to find one here. The place is called Amorino. They make the most beautiful cones - transforming your favorite flavors of gelato into the shape of a rose. My favorite flavor is pistachio - it is SO good. I always get coconut, too! I always change up my third flavor, but today I found a new winner - dark chocolate with soy milk and chocolate chunks... Amazing. If you're ever in a big city in Europe, you need to give Amorino a try. It is a bit pricey - 4.70€ for a medium cone but so worth it.

Tomorrow we're heading out to the vineyards! After that, we're on to 8 days in Biarritz where we are staying right on the ocean!

Needless to say, life is good :) happy weekend everyone.

No comments: