Monday, June 6, 2011

a new language.

A huge part of the challenge of living in France has been learning a new language. I imagined it would be easier once I was actually living here. However, after speaking with my uncle yesterday (a man fluent in some seven languages), I realized that unless I fully embrace the challenge and totally immerse myself into the French lifestyle, I will never (or it will take forever) to become fluent.

I have started to lose hope. Why can't I become fluent overnight? What is taking so long? I have even started daydreaming of this chip they can implant in your brain - like shopping at Best Buy.

"Welcome to Best Buy. How can I help you?"
"Hi. I'd like one French chip and one Arabic, please."
"May I get you anything else?"
"No, that will be all. Thank you."

Then, I go home and hook a USB cable up from me to my computer, and voila! I'm trilingual.

However, the reality is becoming fluent in a new language takes work... a lot of it. I've been taking my 10 hours a week with a tutor. I've been speaking French with my French family. Have I truly overextended myself? The answer is NO! I often find I'm nervous to speak French with people because I'm afraid to make mistakes. My guy and I almost always speak English with each other. He works a lot and when he gets home late and he's tired, we want to have an easy conversation. That's not going to help me though!

My uncle gave me his 3 tips to becoming fluent fast and I intend to practice these when I return to France but will start while I am home in the States.

My Uncle's tips to learning a new language:

1. Create a vocab list and carry it everywhere
  --> Write down all the words you know on a list and every time you're sitting on a train or have a few minutes, take that list out and study it, review it. Do this frequently. Add words as you know more.
         --> My teacher suggested I elaborate on this a bit and get two little repertoires - in one, write all the vocab words I know. In the second, write all the verbs I know.

2. Subscribe to a French newspaper and read it daily.
   --> He said that this won't be easy at first, but it is something he practiced. In the beginning, I will be looking up every word (I've started this and can attest that this is very true). It is very frustrating but will help so much!

3. Find a French television program, an emotional one.
    --> My Uncle said that finding a show that I like and getting hooked is a great way to learn. He said that an emotional show is perfect, because although I won't be able to understand all the words, the body language will help with comprehension.

I'll keep you updated on my progress! I need to practice while I am in the States. I don't want to forget everything I've learned! I am going to prepare my little repertoires while I am sitting by the beach.

No comments: