Thursday, April 14, 2011

award winning sweets - count me in!!!

Over dinner the other night, my guy's brother enlightened us on Belfort's hidden gem - Pâtisserie KLEIN. Apparently, the grandfather, his son, and now, in its third generation, Stéphane Klein, have all been France's champions in creating art with chocolate and sugar. This barely recognizable little shop features some of the most beautiful and tasty creations. Now, I have been eating my fair share of sweets in recent weeks but Klein's candies and chocolates, as anticipated, were on another level.

my love's afternoon treat
mmm.. mine, the house specialty
cherries, lemon cream, and whipped cream

all chocolate with caramel, mousse, and biscuit
 We truly loved our afternoon treats. You can see they are very small (as are most portions in France compared to the US), but I swear, I couldn't finish mine in one sitting. It was so rich. My love, on the other hand, did not have a problem polishing off his Toyko-themed treat while saying, "Mmmmm" with every bite!

Klein's charges top dollar and people come from all over the world for 2, 4, 5, or 6 day classes on everything from pastry making to sugar work.  The classes start at €1500 which is over $2000 right now. I guess it is a small price to pay when you're learning from France's best!

The best part for us is - Klein's is located right next to the hotel! How did we not know about this place before!?

No comments: