Friday, February 24, 2012

TGIF

This has been a long week. Last Thursday night I started to have a fever and woke up on Friday feeling terrible. I had a horrible stomach ache and felt tired all day, despite going to bed at 10pm. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday I was totally fine! I ran 6 miles on Saturday and 6 miles on Monday. Things were fine. I woke up Tuesday morning and got out of bed and my stomach was hurting again. When I was sitting or laying on my back but standing and walking were horrible. The thud thud of my feet on the ground just vibrated through my stomach. I walked to the doctor and it was just excruciating.

I had convinced myself this was a pulled muscle from crunches or something and really didn't want to go to the doctor. However, Wednesday I finally did. He said my situation was atypical and really didn't know what to make of it. He said it wasn't the muscle and my stomach was certainly inflamed. Other than that... he really wasn't sure. Yesterday I was feeling a bit better but still not 100%. Today I feel great. I have no idea what that little problem was with my stomach. The medicine he gave me appears to have worked and I guess the mystery will never be solved. As long as I'm better, who cares!

The perfect part is... it's just in time for the weekend! Tomorrow we will go to our new city (we're moving in April) and look at an apartment. We are really excited to move to a bigger city. In fact, I can't wait. Everyday I say to my guy, "Can I tell my work today!?"

This week wasn't all bad. With my time off of work, I was obviously bored. I read a book. I watched movies and television. The Vow was really cute! This is War was really bad. So bad that I stopped halfway through, watched The Vow, and then came back to finish what I started. I also spent a lot of time experimenting with new recipes since I was able to do the slicing and dicing while seated.

I made a delicious take on Sheppard's Pie. Vegetarian, of course. It was super simple:
mirepoix
2 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
1 Tablespoon dried Thyme
100 ml red wine
1.5 liters vegetable broth
1 small (the baby) can of peas or some frozen ones
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
then add a big can of lentils (the big mama, not the little guy)
The red wine, of course, is optional but it added such a lovely flavor. Then, you make mashed potatoes. I put some thyme in them, too. After, you use a ladle to add the lentils and broth to the bottom of a bowl. I first used a ladle with holes to make sure to get a lot of lentils. I topped that with the sauce. I put a heaping helping of mashed potatoes in the center, topped with cheese, and added a little more sauce. This was so delicious and my carnivorous guy loved it, too. I did first cook him a steak and sat it in the sauce thenadded the potatoes and more sauce on top. He finished that and wanted more and I told him his only choice was to have the lentils and he didn't care at all and raved about it. I was pleased.
And since I had nothing to do, I made apple tarts and turnovers which were equally as tasty! By the end of the night, he was calling me a chef :) This made me feel good considering the last time I posted my dinner on the blog he had worked late and ordered takeout. Upon seeing my post, he said, "Well, if I knew you were making that for dinner, I would have come home to eat." I thought, oh okay, I should call you and then you can decide if you'll order takeout or not!! He swears he didn't mean it like that, but what can I say, I'm sensitive!

Everyone have a wonderful weekend! :)

No comments: