Thursday, May 5, 2011

Stereotypes. the French edition.




French culture is very visual as evidenced by the fashion, art, architecture, and everyday life. There have been many books written solely for the purpose of describing French culture. I admit that everyone has their own stereotypes, their own images of the French culture, but I imagined it like this (with the help of movies and the news):

By day: Sitting at a cafe, eating pastries, drinking espresso, smoking cigarettes, wearing a beret, and a thin scarf strategically tied around the neck.

By night: Trade the pastries for some cheese. Add wine. Double the cigarettes.

I haven't been living here long, but I have come to see that these images weren't too far fetched. Many French people do spend their afternoons sitting outside cafes. There are much more distinct meal times in France - an hour for lunch and an hour for dinner where as in America, much of our eating is done on the go (leading to frequent eating and obesity). French people do eat their pastries, drink a lot of "cafe" and a lot of wine, and eat a lot of (smelly) cheese. *Side Note: My French family always has a variety of cheeses on the table and they eat it before, during, or after the meal.

As far as the berets and thin scarves, I haven't seen much of that! I have seen a lot of people smoking though! More than a quarter of the population in France smokes. I saw a mother light a cigarette for herself and then light another and hand it to her (barely) 15 year old daughter last week - I was flabbergasted, seriously. However, in recent years, France has taken big strides to combat smoking - even eliminating it in public areas in some cases.

I've made a list of some other common stereotypes of French people. 
  • Stinky
  • Women don't shave
  • Lazy
  • Rude
  • Baguette carrying
  • American hating
  • More romantic
Many Americans think the French are smelly and that the women don't shave. Although I don't have actual proof, I have been assured that the French women do, indeed, shave. However, I can assure you that I have witnessed firsthand the "stinky" stereotype to be (somewhat) true. While I am not here to say that the majority of the French don't bathe, I have come across quite a few who take my breath away - and not in a good way. I often find myself pinching my nose or holding my breathe when getting too close to people in shops or while in town. I can tolerate a little after a workout stench but after a week's worth of workouts, 10 packs of cigarettes, and a back covered in dandruff, you need a shower and a good shampoo.

I personally cannot debate the issue of laziness in France yet since I am not actually working. However, my teacher and my guy lead me to believe this is the case. My teacher often says, "French people are very lazy." It seems that people here take the 35 hour work week quite literally. When it is time to leave, they are already packed and walking out the door. Perhaps sticking to the 35 hours assigned to them is more important than looking good to their bosses or bettering their work. Or perhaps they just value family and want to get home... so who am I to criticize, because I would much prefer it be the lather. And, I certainly wish my own guy would work a 35 hour work week... that would be nice.

I have found a lot of people to be rude in France and I will tell you why. First, I find that I often hold doors for people and never get a thank you. I also had a horrible experience where I wanted to eat at a restaurant here. I was asking to see a menu and for a table, admittedly in my poor French, and the staff told me they didn't have a table for 1. The restaurant had maybe 2 people in it... the rest of the tables were open. I was so upset/mad/pissed. I have never seen service like that in a restaurant. Another example I have is a time I prepared a meal for someone who didn't like it and proceeded to throw it out in front of me. First, if you don't like it, don't throw it out. It's a complete waste. Second, it's... RUDE! There were definitely other alternatives... Try saying something like, "Wow. This is so filling! I wish I could finish it all but I just can't." I was always taught, if you don't like something, "Too bad. Eat it."

BUT... at the same time, I have found many French to be courteous, generous, welcoming, and helpful to me. When traveling, I have struggled to converse and they always do their best to help. On the streets, I find people smile or say "Bonjour" frequently. I find that his family is always going out of their way to make sure I am adapting, and I truly appreciate that. So, perhaps the very things I find to be rude could just be.. cultural differences. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

The baguette carrying stereotype is so funny to me. Because, it's true! At the end of the day, everyone stops and buys bread for the family. They always have fresh bread. It's funny to see everyone walking home with a baguette in their hand.

I have found the American-hating stereotype to be completely untrue. I think the French people are very good at differentiating the government in America and the American people. There may be some French people who dislike Americans, but for the most part, I am greeted with something of a sense of awe when I say I am American. In fact, French teens and young adults adore and try to emulate Americans.

As for the French are more romantic stereotype, all I can say is perhaps the French believe this myth too much. A seductive accent and a guy that doesn't dress like a slob is much more common here than in America, but that obviously doesn't make someone more romantic. My French man is loving and caring, but romantic...sadly, not even a little. I really think being romantic or not has nothing to do with where you live but more to do with one's individual self or perhaps other considerations such as the way one was raised, the way one's parents were with each other, etc.

Well, these stereotypes are just things I have heard, witnessed, and are obviously from my point of view. I haven't been to every part of France and just like in the United States, France has many regions with very unique cultures in each of them. So take it with a grain of salt but feel free to comment :)

      xx from France :)

No comments: