Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stereotypes.


(sorry Brit Brit, I had to do it)


An employee at the hotel asked me a few weeks ago if it was, in fact, true that all Americans love sandwiches, BIG coffees, and McDonald's. I thought it was really funny that's what French people think of when they think of Americans. I asked my teacher if she had heard the same stereotypes and, indeed, she had. I remember, too, that upon my love's arrival to the United States, people asked him, "Is it true? Are they all fat?" I know Europeans also think Americans are - I don't know if I should say uneducated or naive - because we primarily only speak English.

My teacher asked me if I thought the stereotypes were true. Well, I do love sandwiches - a classic PB&J, a fully loaded veggie sub, a panini - I could eat a sandwich anytime. Does that mean all Americans feel the same way? ...Probably not.

I am a proud Starbucks Gold Card carrier (mostly because I know they always have soy milk) so do I love a latte..? I sure do. Does it mean I get the largest one? Sometimes. Do I think all Americans love a BIG coffee? Hmm.. I'm leaning towards a strong yes here. I mean, don't we all love the bottomless cup of coffee that is usually standard in American restaurants? Doesn't that beat the €2 espresso that takes you 30 seconds to enjoy finish? Okay, I see the logic... you get the caffeine jolt you're craving when on the go, but how about when you want to meet a friend for coffee and you've both finished your espresso in the first minute of sitting down? Do you sit with your empty cup for 2 hours? There's something nice about enjoying a large latte, slowing sipping while chatting or reading the newspaper.

As for the whole image that Americans survive on fast-food and McDonald's, I really do not think that is true. Of all the families I have known growing up, McDonald's was a treat. You had a good soccer game, you got McDonald's. You were in the spelling bee, you got McDonald's. It was your birthday, you could have McDonald's if you wanted. Was that how it was in my house? No. We don't really like McDonald's. I hadn't eaten any meat since I was 9. My parents prefer a burger on the grill with meat from the local butcher. I think the whole image of Americans eating at McDonald's is more prevalent in less fortunate areas of the country, because McDonald's is cheap (this isn't the case in Europe - McDonald's is actually pretty pricey). Unfortunately, people are eating at places like McDonald's because it's what they can afford. Buying fresh fruits and veggies is expensive and unfortunately not everyone has that luxury (this is where I should add a shameless plug about why government funding for the National School Lunch Program is so important because it brings healthy foods to kids plates and for some children, this is the only healthy meal - or the only meal, in general - that they are afforded).

Now, let me take on this whole issue of Americans speaking only English. Yes, it is 100% true. Most Americans are not bilingual or trilingual like they are in other parts of the world. However, everyone in North America speaks English. Does everyone in Europe speak the same language? No, they do not. Growing up in the United States, we traveled throughout many states, and we only needed to speak one language. Where I am living now in France, I am one hour from the borders of Switzerland and Germany. Guess what language we speak when we go there and we try to communicate? Ahhhh... you guessed right... we speak English!!!! When my love studied in Holland, he learned English. Why was that? Because English was a common language for the students to speak there. What I'm trying to say is, we were raised in a different culture - we have 50 states all with a common language. France is smaller than Texas. Don't you think it would be different if they spoke French in Connecticut, German in Pennsylvania, Spanish in New York, and Italian in New Jersey... yeah, it would, but that's not the case. And, trust me, as much as the rest of the world thinks we're stupid, most Americans I know are envious and would love to learn another language but it's almost impossible to become fluent in a language if you have no one to speak that language with.

Well, I think that's all... what stereotypes do Americans have toward Europeans? Share with me! That's my next topic to tackle!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

As I'm reading this, I'm finishing off a PB&J...and I agree pretty much 100% with the rest of your perspective. Being bilingual or multilingual is something that I think everyone over here would love to be. But, it isn't a necessity to do a vast majority of things you do. Spanish is really the only language that you could say, in general, it might be important for people to speak or at least understand. And many schools are instituting spanish education at a young age--especially in areas of the country that might even speak predominantly spanish. My sister, for example, is in grad school for german translation. She's fluent in german, pretty close in mandarin, and knows enough to get by in spanish and french, I think. But that is WHAT she does...she's lived in Germany for about 4 years of her life, and she studied linguistics in college. To expect the average American to put such effort into something that the average American won't need to use would be a little over the top. But I do agree that, culturally, we could benefit from more language education. I'd sure love to learn German...

DanielKMathers said...

You REALLY need to change your font. This is brutal to read.

♥ Kaylan said...

haha DONE!! thanks :)

Sarah said...

I think there's a love/hate dichotomy when it comes to how we're received by other countries. I've been met with almost nothing but decency and respect in other places. Our culture is the most highly consumed on the planet. Name the highest grossing films, musicians, television shows, retail chains, books, entertainers, sports teams, and software companies in the world and we're pioneers/leaders in every category. Other countries consume our culture like crazy. Globalization plays a role, of course, but people do LOVE what we produce. I think the divisive and controversial politics that run our country are what other places hate.

♥ Kaylan said...

@Dave and Sarah: I couldn't agree with you both more! Well said!