Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring is.. springing!

Spring hasn't completely sprung, but I can tell that it's getting close.

Today is sunny, warm and beautiful. I love these optimistic days, because I always find that people, like dormant animals, begin emerging from their homes. The streets seem to be bustling with energy. Especially in a quiet town like this one, it's nice to see some life!

And, because Spring is here and almost in full swing, I need to start eating lighter meals. It's easy, especially in France, to carb overload. I am so looking forward to moving into our apartment and being able to make my own meals, but until then, I will have to make do. C'est la vie! (It's life!)

My favorite quick and easy meal to make is a salad. I have found that what the French consider a "traditional" salad is very different from what I am accustomed to back home. However, no matter what kind of salad - you cannot go wrong with a salad. You can basically throw anything you have onto a plate and call it a salad. I enjoy playing with flavors and mixing fruits and veggies together in my salads.


This salad was super delicious! My mom inspired me with a recipe she'd sent me this morning to add mango to my salad. I didn't have all the ingredients she sent me but I made my own creation in the meantime! Try it, too! It's simple: lettuce (of your choice), tomato, avocado, mango, walnuts, and mint (adds such a nice burst of flavor!!) with my go-to vinaigrette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper).  Mmmmm!!!

What are your favorite ingredients to add to salads?

No comments: