Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Not So Thrilling Thursday...

My Thursday off was supposed to be relaxing... and it kind of was... for the first few hours...

 I was lucky enough to have off on Veteran's Day. Naturally, I wanted to do the usual weekend activities. Every Saturday and Sunday my love and I wake up and debate whether or not to get bagels. I really don't understand why we do this because we both want the bagels and we both know we're going to end up going. We walk the six or seven blocks to The Bagel Store where we are greeted by Michelle who knows me by name (knows me by name meaning she calls me Katelin but I am used to that).  We always call ahead and order first otherwise the wait is absurdly long for a bagel (but probably still worth it). We order the same thing every time. Well, just like on a Saturday, we walked to get our bagels but on the way back, I popped into a coffee shop only to be disappointed when they didn't have pumpkin spiced coffee.

I wouldn't have even been on that side of the road if I hadn't decided to detour to the coffee shop but since I did, I saw the crime scene that was my cute, little car. My window had been broken and I was afraid to even look any closer.


Because of my impending move, the backseat of my car had clothes on hangers laying across it and once the mean, mean thieves saw those goodies - they broke the window, popped the trunk, and ransacked my whole car. They took my GPS, the brand new super cute (still in the box) rain boots my lovely mother had just bought me, and the contents of my truck - which was pretty much the tangible contents of my life.

Side bar: Transitioning from the master bedroom I had all to myself in college to a one bedroom apartment I had all to myself in Long Island to living in a five bedroom apartment with four roommates wasn't the easiest move I made. So in order for my stuff to not take up the whole apartment and my parents' garage, I have been using my trunk as a quasi-storage unit.

My roller blades, tennis rackets, favorite books, 2 suitcases full of clothes and shoes and jewelry are just some of the items that were taken from me!! I called the police and after what seemed like forever they came to survey the damage themselves.  I had to make a list of all the things I'd had stolen but that is easier said than done. You try making a list of all the things you own while you're in shock, crying, and so overwhelmed. Just so you can get the full image of how much was stolen - I have been wearing my love's sandals around the house, I had to borrow socks from him, and I had to purchase underwear because the only ones I had were the ones in my laundry - everything else had been packed.

Of course I'm sad about everything (my Pandora bracelets were really sentimental to me. charms from a bunch of people all symbolizing different mile markers, achievements, and some that just provided me with motivation), but my smart mother, father, and aunt are right when they say that it could have been worse. What if I had seen the mean, mean thieves doing this and they tried to hurt me?

I will answer the one question you probably have... does insurance cover this? With that I leave you these words of advice, PROGRESSIVE IS WORTHLESS.

No comments: