Friday, March 9, 2012

Thai Curry

I may have mentioned this before, but I will say it again. We love Thai food so much that almost every weekend we drive around 40 minutes to a nearby town that has a good Thai restaurant. I started to think that this was a silly thing to do. The trip is never a total waste as there is a movie theater with films in English, a Subway (to take home with us), and a lot of shops we like (Nespresso, Zara, H&M, Sephora, G Star, etc.).

I decided that I really needed to learn how to cook some Thai food. It would save us a lot of money and time. So, I searched the internet and found a recipe but it wasn't just right. I started to combine a bunch of recipes. I took clever ideas from each and tweaked them to make what I think is a delicious combination. I, of course, add a lot of veggies as I don't put chicken in the meal but it's definitely an option to add chicken or beef. We often top our meal with shrimp.

Here's my recipe.
Ingredients:
 -2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 medium onion, chopped (however you like it)
-1 medium red bell pepper, chopped - my new thing has been buying a jar of roasted red peppers - super quick and adds a nice kick if you buy a jar soaked in a spicy oil (if you try this, add it at the end as it's obviously already cooked)
-1 jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped (I leave some seeds - or all - to add a kick because we like it HOT HOT HOT)
-1 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
-2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
-2 cups vegetable broth (I break apart 1 cube of bouillon into 2 cups of hot water)
-dash of ginger powder
-1/2 an eggplant, skinned and cubed
-1/2 a zuchinni (I use the peeler to make lines so it's prettier - see the pic)
-about 15 fresh or frozen long green beans
-1/4 cup bamboo shoots
-1 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned (and preferably seeded but I leave the skin)
-2 teaspoons curry powder
-salt and pepper to taste 
-1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
**I also found a pâté of red curry (basically a red curry paste) in the super market which I add at the end because it's good and spicy) - I never did this before and it really made such a difference
-some white white - as much as you like

Directions:
1. Add oil to hot pot
2. Add onion
3. When the onion is soft and translucent, add the peppers -chili pepper and if you're not using the jarred red pepper then add your bell pepper here, too and the red pepper flakes.
4. add the garlic, eggplant, and zuchinni and if you're using fresh green beans then them, too (I use frozen because I always love to have green beans)
5. Let the veggies soften a little on a lowish-mediumish temperature. You want them to soften but not burn or crisp. 
6. After the veggies have softened up, add the vegetable broth and all spices - ginger, curry, salt and pepper (I always adjust these to tase).
7. After everything is nicely cooked and flavored at a medium heat, add the tomatoes, bamboo shoots, and frozen green beans at this point (I always soak and thaw the green beans in cold water because I don't like the flavor the frozen-ness gives off).
8. Add the coconut milk. Let cook at a low heat for about 10 minutes. Don't put the coconut milk in until you're about 10 minutes away from preparation.
9. The last step would be adding a bit of salt and pepper to taste and if you buy the red curry paste, add that, too.

To Serve:
Add a scoop of rice to a plate or bowl and ladle the Thai curry mixture on top. Add the garnish. I put some cooked shrimp on top, too. You can cook any meat directly in this meal but I like to keep it vegan and have the option of adding shrimp at the end. 

I think this is a wonderful meal, if I do say so myself. Let me know if you try it! Of course, add or don't add things according to what you like. When my guy isn't here, I add chickpeas for my protein source. You can omit some of the veggies or maybe if you like add something like broccoli. It's really up to you how you want to tweak the recipe. If you do tweak it, let me know what changes you made!

Bon Appétit et bon weekend aussi !

No comments: