Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tour de France: Belfort

Train Station by night - Directly across from the Best Western Hotel Belfort, the beautiful and accommodating hotel which I am currently calling home or la maison

Lion of Belfort - made by the same sculptor that did the Statue of Liberty. 



View from the Fort at the top of Belfort (where the Lion of Belfort is located)

My first stop on my Tour de France is obviously Belfort because that's where I'm living; and I had to put my pile of suitcases somewhere! Belfort is a quaint town that is full of colors and rain. It rains a lot here, and when it's not raining, it's cloudy. However, I will say that this week, we were blessed with a few very sunny days that gave me the slightest glimpse of hope as to what Belfort will be like when it is Spring! The people were out on the streets and everyone was smiling. I couldn't tell you what they were saying, but by all the energy and the buzz, I could tell they were just as happy to see the sun as I was.


To be fair, it is a different lifestyle than I am used to so in my critiques, it is only the opinion of an outsider that grew up in a foreign culture. However, I must say that a few things are quite strange here. See below...

1. On Monday, I ventured out on the town only to find that the stores would not open until 2pm (I wonder what they do all morning).
2. Nothing (except for maybe 2 pizza places which are open until 10pm and a few kebab restaurants) is open after 8pm (I wonder how they make money). Don't say they see that they are losing out on so much business? I am not the only one crawling the streets at 8:30 looking for a place to get some food! I grew up where food stores are open 24/7 and pizza places are open until 2am. It is so strange to walk the streets and see every business closed. As I sat at the front desk of the hotel, I heard all of the guests checking in asking what restaurants were open, and the receptionist could give them only 2 options: pizza or kebab. Most opted to wait for the wonderful breakfast put on at the hotel! I see a business opportunity in Belfort... open a restaurant with many options and keep it open until midnight!
3. The last train stops at 7pm (I guess it's good for the hotel business).
4. I wonder if school is mandatory. I see kids walking around all day long.

Well, I think that's all I can think of for now, but I am sure there is plenty more where that came from... next stop on my Tour de France... still to be determined.

Until then, au revoir et a bientot! Bisous!

No comments: