Thursday, December 9, 2010

All you need is love.

Today is the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's death. It is no secret to my friends and family that I love The Beatles... and John Lennon is my favorite. I love his songs about love and his feelings about peace. I love that he was willing to have a voice and stand up for what he knew was right. John Lennon was a peacemaker, a lover, an artist, a friend, a father, and a spiritual person. Today, I salute you, Mr. Lennon.


And, it has me thinking about one of my favorite John Lennon songs - all you need is love.

This past year, I had the pleasure of meeting someone that I love and respect. It's not until you find someone that you truly love when you can listen to these song lyrics and really know what these artists were thinking and feeling. I truly believe it to be true... all you need is love. Finding someone that you love, that believes in you, that stands by your side through it all, someone you can laugh and cry with, someone you can confide in, someone that listens to you, someone that you want to listen to (the sexy accent is an added bonus), someone that motivates you, someone that you'll never get tired of looking at, someone that you don't mind being next to for hours on end even when you're doing nothing at all... someone that has you truly convinced that the sun shines out his ass... well, that is really rare. How did I get so lucky?

When I look back on flings I had in high school and college and boys I spent nights crying over, I wonder, what for? I have wasted too much time in my life sweating the small stuff and crying over spilled milk... I don't want to waste another moment. I realized recently that there is no reason to ever go to bed angry or sad. That's how I want to live the rest of my life. I want my love to be by my side. I want to smile every morning. I want to smile every night. And, I want my love to do the same. I want to be a better me so that I can be better to the people that love me.

"We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it." - John Lennon

No comments: