Thursday, March 31, 2011

How Bizarre!

As we search for an apartment in France, I find this song on repeat in my head... and oooo baby, it's making me crazy!

In the US, when you rent an apartment, it (as far as I have ever seen) comes with standard appliances. Yes, you may opt to add a dishwasher/washer/dryer and sometimes, on rare occasions, you may need to get a refrigerator but most other appliances come standard. In fact, nice apartment buildings now come standard with dishwashers/washers/dryers and even workout facilities! Our last apartment building in Jersey City had all of that (NOT TO MENTION a pool, a sauna, and a full volleyball court).

Well, here it is not the case. The apartments come with some counter space and a few cabinets and that's it. You need to buy everything! So it is very weird to walk in a kitchen and see it completely bare. Or, we go and visit a place that people are still living in and when we ask what comes with it.... nothing. They have provided all their own appliances. I can not seem to get over this.

Upon walking into these kitchens, I get this big grin creeping across my face every time. It doesn't cease to amuse me... this whole naked kitchen business. I guess it is a good way for the owners to keep the renters in the apartments. I am already dreading moving out of the apartment I haven't even moved into yet, because I am imagining unhooking all these appliances and lugging them to our next destination.

Is the whole appliances included concept unique to America? Before I was asking, "Does it have stainless appliances?" Now, I am asking, "Does it have a stove?"

Regardless, I am excited to hopefully have a place very soon. I have been nomadic in recent months and am looking forward to getting an apartment and all the fun that comes with that. Especially now, while I am taking my French lessons and not working, it is the perfect time to enjoy making the apartment feel like a home. I am excited to decorate, to unpack my suitcases, and mostly, (big sigh of relief) to cook!!!!!!

I have lost weight without having a kitchen (my pants are all falling off) so some good has come out of it, but I so miss cooking. I miss my plates, my pots, my pans, my blenders and mixers, my muffin trays, and having food around me when I'm hungry. I miss being surrounded by freshly baked muffins. I miss trying new recipes and cooking our favorites, too. I miss being able to sit at the table with my man enjoying a meal together while we watch our favorite shows. Mmmm.... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

In the meantime, I have compiled a list of so many recipes I can't wait to cook! I sent my mom these recipes and she said, "Wow, you must really have nothing to do!" I have been perusing cooking sites, other blogs, and reading the food section of the New York Times online. As soon as I try these recipes and am satisfied with them, I'll be sure to share them with all of you!

Until then, the search for a naked apartment continues...


*P.S. I have included pictures of what I want to eat right now!!!

Vanilla cake with chocolate chips inside, topped with chocolate frosting and strawberries.

Chocolate chip cookies with jumbo chocolate chunks!

Veggies with a lot of spices over fish AND roasted over pasta!

lemon poppyseed muffins

coconut curry chickpea soup mmmm my favorite!



Does anyone have any favorite recipes they want to send me?  E-mail me: kaylanreaboold@gmail.com :)

4 comments:

Ellen McCafferty said...

Kaylan, I watch House Hunters International on a fairly regular basis. Very often, kitchens in European countries are just what you describe: counters with spaces for the things you might need. And bathrooms are just strange; if they look like our bathrooms they are called "American bathrooms".

♥ Kaylan said...

Yes, El, often the bathroom is separated into 2 rooms - 1 with just a toilet and another with the sink and shower. So in order to wash your hands, you need to walk to a sink (touching everything along the way with your dirty hands)!!! The apartment we saw today had a toilet downstairs and a full bath upstairs. The downstairs toilet had no sink - how gross!!!!!

Uncle Bob said...

Hi Kaylan, I know what you mean; our place didn’t come with any appliances. We have a stove and refrigerator on loan from the Air Force and we wash our dishes by hand. Do you have bidets in your bathrooms like we do? I think that they are mostly in the older homes. The Europeans also tend to not have closets in their bedrooms so you have to buy wardrobes to store your cloths. I thought that you had already found a place? If not, I hope you find something soon. P.S. Do you know if the Tour De France is coming near Belfort this year?

♥ Kaylan said...

@ Uncle Bob: haha no bidet here but I did think they would be. It sounds like a french word to me! YES! You are so right! I forgot that part! No closets. The apartment we looked at yesterday had 2 floor, 3 bedrooms, and.... 1 closet downstairs!!! I said, "Where are the closets?"

We HAD a place and it was going to be so great, but unfortunately the contractors aren't moving too quickly and it was supposed to be ready in a week and now they said not until the end of May. I can't stay in the hotel that long! We are back on the hunt!

As for the Tour, unfortunately it's not making its way to us this year! Would have been super cool! We should plan to meet in Paris or something (maybe my parents, too!)